Monday, August 29, 2011

Long Island is a great place.  It's not New York City, its not upstate New York.  It is a place all unto itself.  Having grown up there along with generations of my family I wanted to share its wonders with everyone. Long Island contains a great history as well as unique geography, both physical and urban.

To start off with, here are some pictures from Hurricane Irene and its effect on my hometown of Sayville, New York.  These were taken by Gil Sacks,  http://www.joartphoto.com , of Sayville New York, one of my high school classmates.

This is my grandfather's front yard, his house is the yellowish blip behind the Sycamore tree that lost some big limbs in the wind.

Browns River road, right down the street from my house growing up flooded by Irene.
Foster avenue beach and park right at the end of my childhood street, that sidewalk normally is at least 100 feet from the water.
Last but not least, Port of Call, the marina and docks that I used to fish from as a child.  The body of water is the Great South Bay on the South Shore of Long Island.
Just to give some perspective, these are photos from, http://www.sayville.com/gallery.asp , of the same marina Port of Call during normal summer weather.



I look forward to sharing the Long Island I know with you all, I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment